Tuesday 14 September 2010

A couple of new bracelets...

Hello there! It's so nice to have internet....driving me a bit wild at the new place that we haven't got in installed yet but then, I haven't actually rung Virgin to tell them we're moving...so I have no one to blame but my own self! I had to wait in for a delivery from John Lewis this morning so I did a little bit of beading....got some gorgeous sari silk from the lovely Miss Fickle Media the other day so decided to put some of it to good use, along with lampwork beads from Diane of Sowzere and Mindy of Moogin. What do you think then?













What do you think? I just love my lampworks, as you know!

Tomorrow is back to (secondary) school day for me - I was in my primary yesterday, singing away with the wee ones - and of course, I am just now after being well all summer getting a stinking cold. Boo! I hate colds. And just before I start my Vocal Studies course at college too. Hopefully it'll be a quick one; I'll try and be good and get lots of sleep and have lots of fluids...best not wine though ;-)

Just one last thing before I go...loads of folk (Lorelei, Malin, Gaea, Jane Lock) have been blogging about copying later and I just wanted to throw my tuppence into the ring. These ladies have all written great posts about the subject and I absolutely agree with all of them! Obviously, copying someone else's design to sell without their permission is a BAD thing. That goes without saying! It's unethical and very unfair. But, I really feel I must say something about copying other folk's designs not always being a bad thing (as Gaea pointed out, it's one of the ways in which we learn the best). When I teach beading classes which I am lucky enough to do on about a fortnightly basis, whilst the colours I leave up to the students, I am teaching them something I have designed. I want them to copy me! I celebrate it - it's great! When I am lucky enough to be published in a beading mag, I am very happy for readers to copy my designs, bead for bead if they so wish - when you buy a beading magazine or a beading book, you are positively invited to copy the designs that the author/designer has come up with! It's a great thing to share with others. For some, learning a technique or a stitch is a great spring board into new territories where they can transform the technique into something entirely new. For others, they are happy creating other folks designs. This is NOT a bad thing! It doesn't make them less creative to my mind, just of a different sort. I don't think people should be made to feel bad for not being able to or wanting to design things themselves! It's fantastic to share something you love with others in this way, so they can make jewellery for themselves or to give as gifts to friends and family. Not to sell! But to share. Sharing is lovely.

So, those are my thoughts! I am interested to know everyone elses. Hope you are all having great weeks and not coming down with the lurgi like me!

6 comments:

Jane Lock said...

I'm not against copying; as you say how else do we learn, it's the unattributed copying for resale that gets my goat!

Nicki said...

I love your bracelets - all gorgeous. I agree with you on the copying. People should not copy and sell. But sometimes I wonder where inspiration ends and where copying starts. When I have new ideas, are they different enough to not be a copy? And with the bazillions of magazines and books and internet pages that I look at, how can I be sure that "MY" design is not something that was a hidden picture in my head from some other artist.

Eve Smith said...

Hi Rebecca, loving the bracelets, the colours are just yum, About copying i think alot of us jewellery artists can be inspired but everyones designs, and i'm sure everyone has did some piece of jewellery that you have seen something simalar, it's like all these little robin that are about hows to say how made it first.

Emerald Window said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Poppy Fields Bead. Stunning!
Cenya

LUCY said...

Super original......

Sara said...

Preciosos trabajos!Feliz semana.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails