Wednesday 30 November 2011

Oak Leaf and Challenge of Color Challenges

You wait 2 weeks for a blog post, and then 2 (in 1!) come along at once! I signed up to two fab blog challenges, both with the same reveal date, so this post will tell you all about both. And for that reason, there will be a lot of photos and not so many words. Perhaps....I always say that and then I always end up writing way too much....

First up is Jo Tinley's Oak Leaf Challenge. I was so lucky to get into this challenge! Jo made 5 beautiful oak leaf clasps, each one hand crafted by her in rich, oxidised copper. I was the 5th and last person to sign up as Jo only accepted 5 people for this! I have bought quite a few clasps from Jo before and I adore them. Her work really is of the highest quality - do go and check out her website and her etsy shop. We've got quite a few things in common - we are both regular contributors to Beads and Beyond, we both have a love of lampwork beads (especially Moogin) and last but not least, we share the same birthday! How cool is that?

So, a little about the design process. As soon as I received the oak leaf clasp, I knew it would go just perfectly with a cute little hedgehog bead from TreeWingsStudio I had hoarded away. And he just has to go with wooden beads. But I was keen to not simply repeat my recent Art Bead Scene Challenge entry (although the two bracelets definitely have some elements in common) so I introduced a very non-woodland, but very complimentary, colour - cobalt blue. Copper and blue are such a satisfying combination! They really make each other 'ping'. 



Oak Leaf Clasp and oxidised copper wire - Jo Tinley
Hammered copper link - MissFickleMedia
Lampwork beads - OneSillyMoo
Polymer Hedgehog - TreeWingsStudio


What I really love about Jo's clasps is how seamless they look - you can't tell this leaf is a clasp unless you know.



Thanks so much Jo, for organising this fab challenge! I loved it. Here's the list of other people taking part:



Jo Tinley               Daisychain Designs
Melissa Meman                Art, Life, Love
Niky Sayers         SilverNikNats
Amber Boorman              Larksong Studio
Kimberley Roberts          Bahama Dawn
Rebecca Anderson          Songbeads



The next challenge was a very different one - another jewellery hop, but this time from the other side of the pond - Erin of Tesori Trovati's 2nd 'Challange of Color' Hop. I participated in her last one and really found it very inspiring - I love getting a 'brief', whether that be a colour palette, a theme, or a custom made clasp to work with :-)

Last year, I selected teal as my colour family to work with. As anyone who has ever visited my shop or my blog will testify, I can't get enough of the colour. I love every shade between blue and green and work with it on a weekly, if not daily basis. Half my wardrobe is turquoise. 

So, this year I decided to break out of my colour safety zone and try a colour which I like but don't use particularly often - pink. I almost picked yellow as my colour family, but couldn't quite do that to myself - one step too far (I rarely use yellow beads or ribbon, unless they are delicate citrine). 

Here is the wonderful palette that Erin selected to inspire me, from Jessica Colaluca's Design Seeds Blog.




Design Seeds really is an amazing blog and resource; I had a great time checking out other folks' palettes for some extra inspiration. Maybe one day when I have some extra time....

And here's what I made:




It's a medley of colour, and although I had beads in all the colours of the palette, I would never have thought to put them together. I'm glad I did :-)The beautiful polymer pendant is by Heather Powers of HumbleBeads.

Alongside this necklace, I made some simple but pretty (I think) earring, with which I am very pleased :-) I noticed how these gorgeous jade rounds slotted just perfectly into some of Jo Tinley's sterling teardrops, and thought with a little wire wrapping, they would work well. I have oxidised them but need to get hold of some wire wool to take the edge off them - oxidising is effective, but not when the silver is simply black!




Looking forward to seeing what everyone else has created. Here's Erin's list:



Norma Turvey ~ Teal ~ Color Crave
Stephani Gorman ~ Green ~ Dew Tones
Melissa Meman ~ Green ~ Fruit Star
12 Cece Cormier ~ Teal ~ Merino Teal
14 Alice Peterson ~ Blue ~ Island Play
15 Rose Noble ~ Gray ~ Autumn Stacked
18 Tari Kahrs ~ Orange ~ Citrus Tones
19 Mallory Hoffman ~ Purple ~ Petaled Dark
22 Emanda Johnson ~ Teal ~ Color Purl
23 Amy Severino ~ Orange ~ Winged Tones
24 Bobbie Rafferty ~ Teal ~ Lime Hues
25 Tanya Goodwin ~ Gray ~ Pecked Tones
26 Lisa Lodge ~ Blue ~ Nocturnal Tones
28 Linda Landig ~ Green ~ Cacti Dark
35 CJ Bauschka ~ Teal ~ Teal Air
36 Shaiha Williams ~ Teal ~ Sushi Hues
37 Kay Thomerson ~ Purple ~ Autumn Spectrum
39 Cilla Watkins ~ Purple ~ Autumn Infused
40 Shirley Moore ~ Purple ~ Frozen Heather
41 Jenni Connolly ~ Gray ~ Paw Tones
45 Maria Grimes ~ Red ~ Bright Bloom
47 Susan Kennedy ~ Pink ~ Zinnia Tones
52 Lizzie Zawinski ~ Green ~ Budding Hues
54 Dawn Doucette ~ Brown ~ Jarred Tones

52 comments:

steufel said...

Oh Rebecca - both pieces are so pretty. And I love what you did with your palette!

Jenni said...

All so very pretty. Love the blue and copper together...such a sweet hedgie....the clasp is perfect with it.The palette necklace is lovely..the pink and turquoise a perfect combination....the pink beads really POP!
Jenni

Pips said...

I love the colours in your palette and you have used them so beautifully in your necklace! Wonderful work!

Niky Sayers said...

All really lovely pieces, love the colors you have used and that bunny is soooooo cute

Jo said...

Rebecca, they are all so beautiful! I love blues with copper, as you say, the blue really pops! The hedgehog is just so sweet. Thank you so much for taking part in my first challenge!

Your Challenge of Color pieces are stunning - such gorgeous colours! I definitely would have found your palette a challenge to work with. Love the earrings - and I really must get those teardrops into my etsy shop this week!

T... said...

both challenges are wonderful, love the little hedgehog in your oakleaf creation, and the colour challenge floral focal is very pretty, love the colours....

4His Glory Creations by CJ said...

Love love love your colors, they have such a wonderful flow, every detail just glorious! I love what you created in both your challenges. But the second one is my fav.

Courtney Breul said...

I love your necklace. The colors and wrapping - absolutely beautiful! This is a piece I would wear in a heartbeat!

Pearl and Pebble said...

WOW! Gorgeous pieces!! I love how the pink just pops. What a fun palette!!

Amy S. said...

LOVE your use of color in this palette - it's PERFECT and so pretty. Also - color me jealous on the oak leaf challenge - the oak leaf is so pretty and your bracelet is stunning.

Mary K. McGraw said...

How lucky to be in Jo Tinley's Oak Challenge. What a beautiful clasp and what a fabulous necklace you made to honor it.

And you definitely did justice to your color palette. What a beautiful necklace.

Alice said...

Love your oak leaf piece! So sweet, and my daughter would love it.

Your color palette is just beautiful. I'm not one to use much pink either, but you made it look easy. The pink beads are lovely, as are all the elements. And your earrings are so sweet!

Like you, I am hoping to challenge myself to make something with each of the color palettes used in this blog hop. It might take me all of 2012....

Blacklady said...

Hi,
wow all are so great works , I love all but the first one is my favourit.
greetings
karin

Shannon Chomanczuk said...

wow, everything is so beautiful.
I just love that clasp, off to check out her shop now...

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

Stunning designs! I love your color palette and you combined the hues together beautifully! I also really like the bracelet you created with the oak leaf. Really fun piece!

Unknown said...

Oh that hedgie and leaf are awesome!

I choose a pink palette as well and let me tell you, yours is amazing! You always treat us with eye candy!

Tanya said...

Both pieces are wonderful. I love the little hedgehog in the first one. The colors in the second necklace really pop. Your wire work is just amazing.

Cillaw said...

Your designs are lovely.'You nailed the colour challenge!

Heidi Post said...

I love it all! Of course Erin worked some teal in with your pinks - we have very similar palettes actually :) The hedgie bracelet is wonderful too. You're right about copper & blue.

I just love the way you put things together - all those beads on your necklace are pretty enough on their own, but in that particular combo - they become something else altogether fantastic. It is no surprise at all you've been chosen to join ABS!

Anonymous said...

These are some truly amazing pieces. You really nailed your color palette. Earrings are so fashion forward.

Anonymous said...

Your necklace is so refreshing! You made a great use of your palette. And the earrings are simple but so nice!

Ambra

Cynthia said...

2 challenges on one day, great job!!

I LOVE color! said...

I love love your designs and I really like the fact that you are using copper.
Be blessed to be a blessing

Shai Williams said...

Both pieces are just beautiful. That leaf is just yummy. I love how it doesn't appear to be a clasp. And that necklace! I am also addicted to teal and would never have considered blending it with pink.

Anonymous said...

ooo la la. nice job with the pink, That is one bold color palette and the necklace fits it perfectly!

Holly said...

Oh goodness, two challenges for one day? Ambitious much? LOL ;) Good for you! So I love that bracelet, and the necklace is lovely. But those earrings, man, those just shout to me! Gorgeous!! :)

moonlitfantaseas said...

your work is amazing! And the colors you had to work with are so beautiful!

TesoriTrovati said...

I am so glad that you wanted to play again, Miss Rebecca! The palette that I sent you is a favorite of mine. My sister loves tulips so I am always reminded of her. The fact that you already had all those beads in your stash is perfect serendipity. They were meant to go together! And I was so bummed when I missed out on the oak leaf clasp challenge. I have to go get me some of Jo's work! And thanks for introducing a new bead artist to me. Checking out right now!
Thank you for taking on the challenge of color with me!
Enjoy the day. You rock, Miss Rebecca!
Erin

jessememan said...

Rebecca, all your pieces are just gorgeous! I love the hedgehog bracelet...the leaf was perfect for that. Your color palette pieces are lovely as well - those were yummy colors :)

Shirley said...

Oh man what a gorgeous necklace! And I just love the oak leaf challenge as well. Your color choices and design are simply stunning!!

beautifullybrokenme said...

Wow - just stunning! You did a wonderful job of incorporating your featured color, and I would never have guessed that you don't work with it all the time. My favorite feature on the necklace (in addition to Heather's focal) is the circle of little floral drops - so much texture and interest. Gorgeous job! :)

BahamaDawn said...

such pretty pieces!! i love the hegdehog and bright blue components that you used with the oak leaf!! the blue is a great contrast and makes everything POP!

KayzKreationz said...

What a great palette. I love that necklace. A great combo. And the earrings are so sweet. Nice job.

SoulsFireDesigns said...

Rebecca, you never fail to amaze me with what you do for challenges. Absolutely stunning pieces all of them, but I especially love that necklace! Wonderful palette :)

Dawn Doucette said...

Rebecca, I love your color palette. The jewelry you designed to accompany it is equally beautiful. You really did a great job of bringing in all the colors of the palette!
{Hugs!}

elisabeth said...

I love the necklace but am blown away by the earrings - just stunning!

Bobbie said...

The hedgie and the oak leaf are such a great combination. And in the color challenge, I particularly love the little nosegay of flowers beads suspended from the ring. Beautiful pieces!

Sharyl said...

All the pieces are just marvelous! I can tell you've done this a time or two! :-)

EmandaJ said...

Hi Rebecca, Love what you did with your palette! Cool that teal was in there as well.

Emanda

My Life Under the Bus said...

Wow gorgeous!!! I love both of them and your tulip palette is amazing! I'm all crazy for that second necklace with those baby pink flowers. Those oak leaf clasps are quite yummy!

Marcie Abney Carroll said...

The bracelet is my favorite! Gorgeous!

Jen Judd said...

I love that you described your color challenge piece as a medley...such a great word! I hope you're having a fantastic winter so far. Take care!

Regina said...

Both pieces are beautiful. Love the designs!

Therese's Treasures said...

Wow the bracelet you made for Jo's challenge is beautiful and like how all of the elements came together and the blue really made the copper pop. The necklace you made for Erin's challenge is just as beautiful, but in a bright and colorful way and all those colors do go so well together.
Therese

CraftyHope said...

I'm not much on pink myself, but I LOVE this necklace. You did a great job with this palette that would have had me shaking in my boots. You were braver than me to choose a more challenging color. Hat's off!!

Unknown said...

Both of your pieces for the color challenge are beautiful! I never would have thought to mixed those colors!

Also your bracelet for the Leaf Challenge is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Love this necklace! Great medley of color and texture.

Anonymous said...

I love what you did fr both challenges. The earrings, especially, took my breath away! Great work!

Starstruckbooks said...

What a lovely and fun set, the earrings are really beautiful. Lovely interpretation of the pallette.

Amy F said...

really pretty! that is such a fun palette!

SueBeads said...

Gorgeous interpretation of your color palette, and a fantastic job with the oak leaf challenge as well!

Maneki said...

Beautiful and colourful necklace! The colours work for a winter party necklace as well as in the middle of summer. And the earrings are very nice with their geometric shapes. Great interpreation of your palette!

And what a lovely and sweet hedgehog bracelet you made with that beautiful oak clasp (lucky you, getting one of those!).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails