Monday 30 January 2012

Andrew Thornton Challenge, or More Yellow!

So, perhaps I should rename this blog YellowBeads, as that seems to be the only colour I am blogging about at the moment! Today, it's more yellow....this time, from Andrew Thornton's Challenge. Andrew sent us some really beautiful components, the kit remained sight unseen until it arrived with us, so I didn't know what I was in for until it appeared in the post. As I have already said in this post, yellow is a challenge for me.....but one I am trying to rise to more often. 



The mystery component was made by Andrew himself, a beautiful bronze pendant, with a tiny tree, it's branches reaching upwards. Combine this with handmade and vintage components and a delicious luxury bead mix and you have a pretty delicious kit in lemon and lime shades.


Immediately I saw the kit, a painting by one of my favourite artists sprung into my mind - The Tree of Life by Klimt. I had it up as a poster in halls at Uni eleven years ago, and in my shared houses the following two years, until it fell apart from being put up and taken down too many times. I really should get myself another print, and put it in a clip frame this time! Until then, this necklace will have to do. It's not got quite as much bronze tones in it as it should (I should have pulled more of them out of the bead mix) but the vibrant yellows and verdant greens which Andrew selected for us are perfect to herald the coming of spring (hurry up! I am ready for more light and sunshine!). I've gone for my currently usual technique of knotting the beads together. I love the drape this achieves. I've layered the pendant with an etched Vintaj pendant and used a clasp from an old bead soup swap, but other than that, the beads are all from Andrew. Thank you Andrew! I have really enjoyed the challenge and am sad I missed the boat with your next one, they have consistently stretched me creatively and I have loved it! Please visit the other challengees here:



Rebecca Anderson (you are here!)
Therese Frank


and of course


Andrew Thornton

13 comments:

Kim said...

I love what you did. I have a really hard time working with yellow too, so I understand. I loved the kit though, lots of pretties to play with!

LUCY said...

Precioso......

Anonymous said...

What a pretty necklace! I have a hard time working with yellow. When I got my kit, I rushed out and bought some gold and bronze findings (I usually only use copper and silver).

Karin Slaton said...

Lovely that you thought of Klimt with your layered focal! He is one of my favorites, too. You've inspired me to look into knotting techniques - drape is always the hardest part of a design for me.

Therese's Treasures said...

Rebecca,
I love your necklace it is so pretty and I like that you used the theme of Klimt's painting to be your inspiration.
Therese

Heidi Post said...

Oh it's beautiful! Yellow would confound me too, but you've done a lovely job :)

dundeegirl2 said...

Beautiful necklace! It is so bright and cheerful. I love that you knotted it. I have never tried that but I will have to look it up now.

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous! Will be a blast to wear ;)

bwheather said...

Simple yet stunning, really love it. I was also part of this challenge, but was super slack in letting Andrew know. I've made a blog entry of my unfinished piece and would love it if you could visit, too. Thanks. http://asibeadit.blogspot.com/ ;-)

Michelle said...

Beautifully done! I love the addition of the Vintaj and your comparison to Klimt.

TesoriTrovati said...

Oh my! I am in love with the way you layered the pendant. I love the little czech leaves and how they lead my eye to the focal. And knotting! That is something I almost never do. I love the effect of the knots between the beads. So lovely. And Klimt is my absolute favorite artist too!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Karin Slaton said...

Love the updated photos!

Kate Richbourg said...

Knotting is perfect for this piece! I love to knot beads and think it ads such a flair to necklaces. This is so pretty and the layered piece is the perfect focal point to the asymmetrical bead placement.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails