Monday 2 January 2012

Rest in Peace, Maisie Girl

My darling little bunny, sweet Maisie, passed away last night. We think she had been poorly for about a month or so, and had also broken her leg and had an operation, so this past month has been particularly traumatic for her. She stopped eating a few days ago but with help and encouragement from us, and syringe feeding her liquid bunny food, we thought she was on the mend. Sadly, we had a trip to the emergency vet last night and despite their best efforts, Maisie passed away.

I can't tell you just how devastated we are. She was and is, so precious to both me, Helen and her bunny companion, Rufus. I am typing this through a haze of tears, in which I have spent most of today and last night. She was the best of pets, sweet and a little bit cheeky, fiercely loving and protective of Rufus, and so changed from her nervous nature when we were first lucky enough to bring her home with us, 4 years ago almost to the day. She was a rescue rabbit and I hope I can say that we gave her a good and happy life for the time she spent with us. Although she was 5 and has always been delicate, none of us were ready for her sudden departure. Helen and I buried her in our garden, next to a lavender patch, this afternoon. We both miss her so much and are struggling to imagine life without her.


13 comments:

Silly Moo said...

so sorry to hear ... big hugs xx

TesoriTrovati said...

Sweetie, I am so sorry to hear this. You are such a kind soul and Miss Maisie is so very lucky that you opened your heart and arms to love her so. Let your memories of Miss Maisie live on and don't let the loss stop you from opening your heart again.
Enjoy the day.
Erin

Barbara said...

:( big hugs!!!! I'm so sorry for your loss. It is sad that they can't be with us forever in body as well as spirit.

Cillaw said...

So sad. Sorry for your loss. Hugs+++

Heidi Post said...

Oh Rebecca, I'm so sorry! I know how much you love your bunnies. It's devastating to lose a sweet, innocent little pet. I hope you two and Rufus will heal accordingly and remember her with smiles instead of tears before too long. xoxo ♥

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That's really sad to hear, I'm so sorry!

Mary Ann Tate said...

Sorry about your little bunny. They are such sweet pets.

Jo said...

I'm so sorry about Maisie. I'm sure that you both gave her a wonderful life. Jx

Green Shoot Jewellery Designs said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Maisie, so lovely for you to have rescued her and that she gave you so much happiness.
Deb x

Blacklady said...

Hi,
so sorry for her
big hugs
karin

Unknown said...

Losing a loved pet is so hard they become such a part of our family and we are never ready for there sudden departure. Hugs and positive thoughts are being sent to you and Helen!! Take care. Much love
Penny

My Life Under the Bus said...

Oh Rebecca I am so sad for you guys. I still remember her in front of the Christmas tree! XOXO I am sure you guys gave her tons of love in your home. (((HUGS)))

GlassBeadArt said...

Oh, what a beautiful bunny she was!!!
I feel so sad for you. I fully understand your pain. We lost one of our bunnys, Rudi, on December 31,2009. He was not even 2 years old. He is buried in our garden and we buried some flower bulbs with him . They are the most beautiful spring flowers and remind me of him constantly. 6 weeks later we bought a new companion for our lonely girl, a handsome white satin floppy ear bunny guy, whom we call Flocki.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails