Thursday 1 September 2011

Introducing...Heidi Post

Welcome to the first in my new blog series, Introducing.....I'm naturally a slightly nosy person, so I thought it'd be great fun to ask some of my favourite bead and jewellery artists from across the globe to share a peek into their creative process with me. I'm kicking the series off with an interview with one of my best bloggy friends and favourite jewellery artists, New Orleans based designer Heidi Post. {FYI did you know that Heidi's middle name is Rebecca?} 

So without further ado, I'll hand over to:


Q1.HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN MAKING JEWELLERY AND WHAT LED YOU TO BEGIN?

A1. Technically, I was making jewelry when I was 14. Then there were adventures in polymer clay & very basic seed beading in college. Later on, I’d make a few things for myself (or for gifts) with Swarovskis, but it wasn’t until my grandmother died 3 years ago and I acquired most of her massive costume jewelry collection that I got really serious about it. There was this one necklace with the most gorgeous beads I’d ever seen, but I didn’t like the style. I promptly taught myself wire wrapping via some Youtube tutorials, and made a necklace from them with sterling wire. My first wire wrapped necklace was sterling! I was pretty fearless, but it came out beautifully and I still wear it. I’ve always been creative though. I went to an arts high school for Visual Arts. Drawing and painting was what I spent most of my effort on until jewelry took over.



Q2.WHAT DO YOU GET OUT OF CREATING JEWELLERY – BE THAT EMOTIONALLY, PHYSICALLY, MENTALLY?


A2. Physically? I get a big pain in the neck! But it’s a satisfying way to take care of the creative urges. It’s way more instant gratification than painting, plus the finished product doesn’t take up nearly as much space! And people are way more willing to buy jewelry than they are paintings. I love working with my hands. In fact, they cannot stand to be idle. Even if I’m doing nothing, my hands find a way to occupy themselves. Plus, there’s the joy you get in creating something and seeing it through ‘til the end. Looking at a beautiful thing you created and thinking, “I made this!” is a high, and one that’s not even remotely unhealthy for you! (Though my massage therapist would beg to differ!)


Q3.WHAT DO YOU FIND INSPIRING?

A3. Other jewelry. The beads themselves. Random color combinations I come across in life. Period pieces. Watching shows about space on Discovery Science – do you know how gorgeous galaxies are from the Hubble? Seriously, if I could put Andromeda around my neck…


Q4. DESCRIBE YOUR WORKSPACE – ARE YOU LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE A STUDIO SET UP OR ARE YOU LIKE ME AND WORK IN ODD CORNERS OF YOUR HOUSE?

A4. It’s a corner of the living room, which has also taken over my computer desk and one end of the breakfast table. See attached pics for details.




Q5.WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE MATERIALS TO WORK WITH AND WHY?

A5. Funny, I hated copper at first. I guess it just reminded me of pots and pans (my mom had zillions growing up). But once I got my hands on Liver of Sulfur, everything changed! It’s the only wire I want to use lately. I also adore sari silk – it adds such texture and personality to a piece. In terms of gems, labradorite and clear quartz are my favorites. I’m totally over Swarovski crystals now – you would never have convinced me of that a few years ago. And I love to use as many vintage pieces parts as I can. Like most of us, I was fine with whatever pretty things I could find at the store or wherever, but now if I can make it myself, I want to. It’s so much more personal and unique to have a handmade clasp or earwires.



Q6. DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE BEAD OR SUPPLIES SHOP YOU COULD SHARE WITH US?

A6. There are just so many artists on etsy I love. I tend to get most of my stones when Intergem and AKS come through town, and of course Michael’s always has some good basics. Lately, I’m nuts about Golem Studios. If only I could just get that winning lottery number! I also adore Lynn Davis’s “fauxtiques.” I tend to do a lot of shopping from limabeads.com, artbeads.com, and beadaholique.com.



Q7.IF YOU WERE TO GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO A FAVOURITE DESIGNER OR ARTIST, WHO WOULD IT BE AND WHY?
A7. Just one? Okay ;) Rebecca Anderson! I totally adore her style. We’re both koo-koo for the color turquoise, sari fabric and birds. Her blogs are always very entertaining, and I’m always anxious to see what she’ll create next.



Thank you so much for giving me the time & space on your page Rebecca! I truly appreciate the bloglove & support J

THANKS SO MUCH!





Aw, thanks Heidi, *blushing*! I've loved finding out about your creative process and especially seeing into your studio space. I totally need that photography window of yours! Thanks for agreeing to be my first victim interviewee. 

Please check out 
Heidi's blog
Heidi's shop


And tune in next week for the next Introducing....post. But not Heidi Post. (Sorry, terrible joke, couldn't hold it back 
;-))

8 comments:

Malin de Koning said...

Oh yes! Two favourites in one go! What a great interview! Heidi, you are such an interesting person. I loved reading about your inspirations, your creative background and so on. Thanks Rebecca for sharing this with us.

Anonymous said...

Great idea Rebecca! Looking forward to this new series :)

Heidi Post said...

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for choosing me to interview! It was fun, and I can't wait to see who else you introduce us to in the future :)

Cillaw said...

I love these kind of interviews too.
By the way..my middle name is Rebecca too!
Cilla

Palimpa Lim said...

I love the idea of this new series, Rebecca!
And, of course, I love Heidi, too :) She has such a great sense of colours! It was great to read a bit more about her work and background!
XO

Mom23 said...

Heidi has always had her own style, and it has just gotten better over time! I am very proud of her!

She also charms birds -- my digital photo frame has randomly shown at least 4 pictures of Heidi with various birds perched on her shoulder or hand as I have been sitting here!

It's not hard to tell that this is her mother leaving comments for her -- lol!

Jo said...

I hadn't come across Heidi's work before - I'm now off to read her blog and probably follow that! I love these type of blog posts as I always see such lovely things, and it's great to see the person behind the work. I love how Heidi mixes all the different textures and materials.

My Life Under the Bus said...

Go Heidi!!!

Love all of her things and we are all so similar in our love of turquoise,blue ,green and all things birdie!!!! Must go check out her blog!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails