Saturday 26 March 2011

The spoils of Edinburgh...

I am spending the weekend in my hometown, Edinburgh, capital of beautiful Scotland. I can't tell you how lovely it is to be back at home and best of all, it's all due to beading! I taught a class at my favourite of all bead shops, The Little Bead Shop (they've got a blog too - check it out!) - we came up yesterday and go back tomorrow but it is lovely to spend just a few days here, soaking up some Scottish goodness with my Mum. We're going out for tapas this evening with my cousins and that is going to be a rare treat - I don't get to see them often enough.

One of the really awesome things about teaching at The Little Bead Shop is seeing what exciting new stock they have in. Gil Baird (the owner, beader extraordinaire and all round super person!) has yet to get her shop on-line fully (keep your fingers crossed for this Easter) and so there are always new and fabulous things to ooh and ah over. And buy, of course! Today, she had in some absolutely gorgeous clay (porcelain I think?) flower beads/buttons from a lady in Livingston who shut up shop in 1940 so these are OLD. I'm sure you'll agree though, they look incredibly contemporary. I couldn't believe it when Gil told me they were pre-war! I bought almost as many as she had in, knowing the opportunity wouldn't come around again.




You cans see from the top picture just how dimensional these flowers are. I can't tell you how excited I am to create something with these! My mind is full of jumbled ideas and I can't wait to sit down and try some out. 


Here's a picture of everything I bought (minus two gorgeous hand dyed silk ribbons - oh yes, it's that type of amazing shop!). You can see a bit of a flower theme going on!

My Mum also surprised me by dishing up a bunch of delights from my Grandma's bits and bobs. She died 11 years ago but we're still gradually sorting through her stuff. She was my Mum's stepmum and sadly, fairly rubbish at that....but she was an awesome Grandma! VERY old-fashioned but that's quite charming in a Grandparent in a way, isn't it? Not in a parent however....I think she would have very happily been a character in  a Jane Austen novel....that gives you some idea!She was a great embroiderer and attended the Royal School of Needlework in her youth, and left behind all sorts of exciting notions, books, beads etc. 


Aren't these just gorgeous? The silver flowers on the left are buttons (possibly sterling?) and the red ones are funny wee pendants or possibly some kind of cuff link....not sure. But they certainly have oodles of potential! They are so beautiful and all the more special for coming from my Grandma's stash. 


An exciting clasp! Sterling. Isn't this totally gorgeous?? 

So all in all, today has been a very good day. I love pieces with a history...especially one so personal to me. I feel very lucky!

12 comments:

Malin de Koning said...

Oh the goodies you have got there. Awesome! I'm off to check that shop for the flowers. LOOOOOOOOOVE them!

Anonymous said...

I love stuff with history too- but then can't bear to use them! Lovely blog posts as always!

Green Shoot Jewellery Designs said...

What a fabulous find, you must be over the moon at all your goodies! Have a lovely meal.
Deb x

Third Eye Gypsy said...

Ooooo what beautiful flower beads! and LOOK the spotty buttons are my favorite colors :D What fun spoils you got!

How awesome for you to still be finding treasures of your grandmothers.

Enjoy your vacation time with your family!

xo Genea

TesoriTrovati said...

Awesome stuff Rebecca! I love those buttons, those red ones are beautiful. Can't wait to see what you make!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Mary Harding said...

What wonderful buttons from your grandmother. And how fun to be in home for the weekend and teaching a class. Thanks so for posting these pics. They are great

I LOVE color! said...

Cindy what a treasure trove. I would love to have had some of my gramdmothers buttons. When I was a child I use to paw thru her button jar. Have a great visit with family. Be Blessed

Unknown said...

oooh what lovely beady bits! those flowers are gorgeous!

Heidi Post said...

I LOVE those old flowers! How absolutely thrilling to come across such an old treasure :D I can't even wait to see what you do with them.

lynsey said...

some fab spoils there Rebecca, those vintage flower buttons from the shop are so pretty

CraftyHope said...

Oh my!! Those ceramic flowers are just AMAZING!!! I'm so very jealous. In fact, your whole haul from the bead store is completely envy-inducing. Enjoy the spoils of a great shopping trip and I can't wait to see what you make out of it!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Holy Moly I would never guess those flowers were prewar! Those buttons are amazing - I bet they are sterling they look amazing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails