Tuesday 22 June 2010

My Bead Soup!





So, better late than never, here is what I came up with yesterday (!) with the soup that Nicki sent me. Thanks so much Nicki! I think we both challenged each other but (I hope) in a good way. I don't usually use LOTS of larger elements in one piece although I do like the look of it when other folk do so.

Nicki was SO generous with what she sent me, I just didn't know where to start! I think that's why I procrastinated so much in getting my ass in gear and making something with my German beads...I have made two items so far (still have quite a bit of soup left!) and I do feel quite pleased with them. I was a bit scared of using all the items together as it seemed like it could be too much but my sweetheart said "get over yourself and just do it!". So I did! And here are the results.



What do you think? I am pretty pleased as, like Nicki, I've done a couple of things new to me. One as I've already said, use many larger elements in one piece

and also, use two different metals in one design.


To be honest, I'm still not totally sure what I think about this, somehow I feel it can cheapen the look of the metals to have them side by side but perhaps I'm wrong...Looking at these pictures, I think I will switch the large white bead and the copper filigree in the necklace around to achieve more balance. Any thoughts? I'm open to any suggestions!! Would you switch, or stick?

I got a nasty shock when I first plugged my camera into Cagney (my wee MacBook)....look what the pictures first turned out!!!



Lordy. Thank goodness for iPhoto is all I can say! One click on

***ENHANCE***


and it does what it says on the tin...

I made these pieces sitting at a picnic table at a lovely wee local park after I finished work yesterday and here



is the reason I didn't get around to taking completion pictures yesterday! All I can say is I feel it was well deserved :-)

Check out everybody else's finished pieces for today;

37. Filomena, Pink Velvet Bird
38. Lyn, Lyn Foley
40. Rebecca, Song Beads You are HERE!!!!!!!
41. Regina, Regina's Writings
42. Nancy, The Rabbit Muse
43. Whitney, Whitney Lassini
45. Michelle, Life in the Bead Lane


that's what I'm off to do once I've posted this!

And P.S. Don't forget my GIVEAWAY........

28 comments:

Joanna Matuszczyk said...

I like it a lot. It's simple and beautiful. Nice work!

Cathryn said...

I really like how you used those nice-sized beads in one necklace! I wouldn't switch the white one--I think it looks good the way it is. Can't wait to see the other pieces!

Unknown said...

You did a good job! The mixed materials look great! Have a nice day, see ya Doris

TesoriTrovati said...

I really like this. Those colors are awesome. Very juicy. And I love the use of the fiber. How did you make that clasp hook? Or wast that part of your ingredients? I am a big fan of mixing metals as long as there is balance. I think that you have acheived it right nicely. Thanks for sharing this tasty morsel.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Nicki said...

Wow Rebecca, I love this necklace. The bracelet too, but the necklace is one of my favorites in the entire party. I love the ribbon, and how you used wire in the front. And this is exactly what I can't do - put large beads together the way you did. I love it absolutely totally entirely completely. Well well well done. You rock, girl. Thanks for the fun game.

Nicki said...

Ok I forgot to say: I want it ;-).

Cindy said...

Rebecca, this is truly gorgeous! Love the colors,the design, the way you included the ribbon....and would I ever love to wear this one over the summer! :-)
Cindy

Eve Smith said...

you did great Rebecca i'am the opposite from you i love large and chunky, i'm hopless with seed beads.x

moonlitfantaseas said...

I love the bracelet!!! and I wouldn't change the beads around on the necklace, it looks good as it is

Rebecca said...

Thanks so much everybody for your positive feedback :-) I'm chuffed to bits!

Lucid Moon Studio said...

I like both pieces very much! I wouldn't change a thing. I love the clasp on the necklace! Your glass of wine looks so good and refreshing...now I want one! It's not too early, is it? lol. Awesome job on your bead soup designs!!

Lisa

Loretta said...

Lovely design. I love all the beautiful colors.

Kate said...

I love your pieces, I don't think they look too big at all! In the necklace I do think that switching the copper and white beads would create more balance. The right side is a little 'dark' heavy, especially since the ribbon is in a darker shade. But I love your design, and great pictures for a picnic table! Wish I could do that! I took over 100 pictures of my soup in various places and still not happy with any of them! :)

diane hawkey said...

I love how you used the ribbon.

Regina said...

Do not fret, your designs are beautiful. I like the mix of large beads on the bracelet. I bet it feels good on the wrist. The mix of metals in the necklace is perfect, the silk ribbon at the back is perfect and what an interesting clasp. All so good together.

Christine said...

Very pretty. I like that it is simple and really shows off the beads so nicely. Beautiful work!

Emerald Window said...

Love what you created from your bead soup. I looked through your other posts and was quite impressed. I'd love to enter your give-away. I do one each month as well. Check it out.
Cenya

Malin de Koning said...

i loooove your designs rebecca! That bracelet ... You have distributed and balanced all the big beads so it keeps being interesting to look at for ever. I was also afraid of mixing metals before. But now i do it all the time. Who cares, as long as it loooks good. They are colours aswell and sometimes you just need different shades. So nice to read your post aswell! Thank you!

steufel said...

Totally great, Rebecca. Both pieces are real beauties!

Kella said...

Really beautiful piece i like the whole look of both of them and think you did well for someone not used to using large beads, I would change nothing its perfect.

Sissy and Jack's said...

I love you big beads! Though I would switch the beads in the necklace for more balance.
These are very refreshing summer pieces that should be worn often.

Stacy

Jo said...

I love both of your pieces - I would definitely wear them both! I love the mix of purples and copper, and that duck egg blue bead in the bracelet is gorgeous - what's it made of? I think I would be tempted to swop over the beads in the necklace, but that didn't occur to me until you suggested it!

Silver Parrot said...

Very pretty - love the color scheme and the ribbon!

Anonymous said...

Those are both really lovely pieces. I like your idea of switching the filigree with the white bead. Great job trying something different. With the last soup I used all sorts of different metals, and I really liked the results, but it's hard to think from a market standpoint if buyers would feel the same way.

Anyway, great job!!!

Marieke said...

Both your pieces look lovely!

Jen Judd said...

You're a nut! I'm so happy that I've found your blog and your work. I'm hesitant to mix metals, too, but as with your "experiment" I usually end up happy, too!!

Pretty Things said...

I would wear that bracelet Every. SINGLE. DAY!!!!!! I love it!!!! And the ribbon on the necklace is divine! You did wonderful!

Patti said...

I love the clasp and the color palette and the bird and the ribbon... all of it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails