Monday 31 October 2011

Elukka house necklaces

Some new necklaces I'm making in preparation for The Handmade
Show in Perth on Sunday. Love these raku houses so much!



I'm trying out a few ideas for the show. It's the biggest show I've done so far, so I'm feeling quite nervous....loads of amazing jewellery (and non-jewellery!) artists attending so I hope I don't just sink without a trace...there you go, that's my Scottish positivity shining through ;-)

Art beads aren't so well known here in the UK, so I thought I might put a little blurb on my table. Any thoughts? Too cheesy? Helpful? Do you think anyone will be interested?! Any comments, gratefully received :-)

What is an Art Bead?

wear your art on your sleeve...

Art beads are individually hand crafted beads, made by highly skilled artisans. When I select an Art Bead, I know that I am using either a one-of-a-kind piece, or one that is part of a very small batch of pieces. I know that the jewellery I create will, in turn, be an individual piece of art, which tells its own story with the pieces it is built from - be that a raku ceramic house from Finland, a handcast pewter bird from New York, or a hand torched glass focal from Edinburgh. I find these miniature pieces of art inspirational - I hope you will too!


Don't forget to check out my interview with Bo Hulley and giveaway here :-)

8 comments:

Bobbie said...

Best of luck with your big show -- I'm sure you'll be a smashing success! And it's a great idea to have a little sign explaining art beads to educate your buyers. I've done something similar this fall to explain the intricacies involved in beadweaving, and it's been enormously helpful. It sparks great conversation, and people have a new understanding of why my beadwoven pieces carry the prices they do...

Judy said...

I love your necklaces! Good luck at your show, I am sure you will do wonderfully!

TesoriTrovati said...

OH! I have been lusting after Elukka's house beads for three years! I love these. So sweet. And I say yes to the education on art beads. Outside of our own cozy community online there is not a lot that is well known. I have to struggle with this all the time. Especially in the ART gallery where I sell my work. There are two other jewelry artists there that, while they make some pretty things, they seem rather tired and uninspired as if they have no soul. I am constantly telling the story of the bead makers, and inspiration and the translation of these things. It does make a difference and it helps people be a lot more critical when it comes to what they are buying.
Good stuff, Miss Rebecca!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Malin de Koning said...

Looking lovely!!!!

Jo said...

I do love those cute houses! The sign you've written is perfect - educating without patronising, and a lovely personal touch. I'm sure the show will be wonderful - afterall, your jewellery is! Good luck!
P.S. your new clasps were posted yesterday!

SueBeads said...

Really cute the way you used the keys with the houses! They will be a big hit! Good luck at your show, the art bead sign is a great idea!

Heidi Post said...

Love the houses! I think the information is helpful, especially in justifying your prices, which you've recently said are a bit higher than others. I think people like to know that they're getting something really unique and one of a kind. It makes it that much more special. Good look. I hope you do wonderfully!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Well The one with the bird is my fav but they are all awesome ! XO

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails